Car engines come with variable valve timing (VVT) as part of their components. A perfect operational vehicle cannot work without an engine that has all its features intact, but when the reverse is the case, then the P0013 code may be present. The challenge of making your car work hitch-free will become unbearable. Error code p0013 can alter the smooth functionality of your car.
Exhaust Camshaft Position – Short/open in Oil Control Valve (OCV) (Bank 1).
What Does P0013 Code Mean?
P0013 refers to Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0013. The term represents “Exhaust “B” Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit/Open (Bank 1) or “P0013 exhaust camshaft position actuator circuit open bank 1”. The code is a universal term of OBD-II linked to the variable valve timing (VVT).
Variable valve timing is adjustable timing that permits the camshaft to adjust itself to the required setting when in motion. This process enhances fuel management and efficient performance.
What Cause of Code P0013?
P0013 code comes in different labels from various automakers, creating other probable causes based on your model or brand.
Some general causes of p0013 code issues include:
- Faulty PCM
- Dirty or low engine oil
- Shortened or opened actuator solenoid
- Low oil pressure
- Faulty actuator solenoid
- A lousy or clogged Phaser or oil control valve
- Poor electrical connectivity on the actuator solenoid.
What Are the Symptoms of Code P0013?
The camshaft actuator solenoid valve control circuit may be in danger if you neglect symptoms of impending problems.
You can’t risk damages to your car’s engine. So always pay attention to these p0013 symptoms:
- High fuel consumption
- Poor engine power.
- Rough idling
- Hard starting.
- Engine hesitation.
You should keep in mind not to expect similar symptoms every time. They likely change as the position of the camshaft timing changes when its progress halts. However, whether you find the P0013 or P0014 code, ensure that you have malfunctions on the camshaft timing.
How serious is the code p0013?
P0013 is a moderate repair case and may not require urgent attention. However, if you choose to continue driving with a registered P0013 error code, you’ll experience the following;
Rough engine idling and hesitation. You will get high fuel mileage and carbon build-up on the valve compartment. Driving with this issue for an extended period can cause the PCM to malfunction.
Code P0013 Common Diagnosis Mistakes
Try to avoid these diagnosis mistakes for the p0013 code:
- Non-compliance with the automaker’s diagnostic guide.
- Failure to carry out a thorough check-up to know the actual causes before replacing any components.
- Failure to re-scan and clear the code after fixing it before doing other things.
- Changing sensors and related components before diagnosing the vehicle.
Tools Needed to Diagnose Code P0013
Diagnosing the P0013 code needs adequate concentration and dedication within the time allotted to the process. So, the essential tools, in this regard. include:
- Joint jumper wires.
- OBD2 scanner
- Ohmmeter/a digital volt.
- Service manual for your car model.
- Essential hand tools to access the camshaft solenoid and related timing components
How to Diagnose and Repair Code P0013
How do I fix code P0013? Depending on your car brand, diagnosing the P0013 code is done in the same similitude with all vehicles. The P0013 code in Chevy Equinox is peculiar. It involves the following steps.
- Check the wiring electrical connector on the camshaft oil control valve on bank 1.
- Scan the vehicle with an OBDII scanner and clear the code.
- Test drive the car for 15-20 minutes after clearing the p0013 codes and see if the code will return.
- Scan codes and record freeze frame data to determine the time of failure.
- Confirm OCV accurate resistance between 6.9 to 7.9.
- Examine short/open wiring connections.
- Conduct an automaker’s recommended pinpoint analysis if code reappears, then perform the required fixes.
- Read your car manual to get instructions on the best ways to discover and repair the p0013 error code.
P0013 Error Code Repairs
- Identify the problematic codes and conduct a road assessment.
- Fix or change the bank 1 exhaust camshaft OCV wiring.
- Change the exhaust camshaft OCV for bank 1.
- Replace the ECM if it is faulty.
Same Problems with Different Error Code
Q: Can I drive my car with a P0013 code?
Yes, but not advisable because p0013 signifies a malfunction on the engine components. The engine will not work as it should and may hamper acceleration.
Before asking if you can drive with a P0013 error code, are you ready to face low engine power, hesitation, stalling, rough idling, etc.? Aside from these issues, delay in fixing the problems while still driving your car can lead to catastrophic engine damages.
Q: How serious is code P0013?
P0013 is serious when it’s ignored for a long time. The damages to your engine may drop an expensive repair bill on the table. If your car runs at the wrong timing (the primary sign of the p0013 code), the results will be unpleasant. You must hurry to fix the p0013 code once you find any problems, regardless of your car brand.
Q: How much does it cost to fix code P0013?
Error code P0013 repair cost varies from one car brand to another, and the actual cause of the problem.
For example, fixing your camshaft sensors often goes for $25 to $50 and more. Investigate well before buying anything to avoid overspending.
Q: Can low oil cause P0013?
Yes, a low oil level can cause P0013. Examine the oil gauge first via the oil dipstick when you notice error code P0013 symptoms.
The VVT systems needed adequate oil flow at its appropriate pressure for optimum system functioning. If you discover a low oil level, top it and wipe the code before driving the car. The origin of the issue is resolved if the code fails to return.
Q: How do you fix a code P0013 on a Chevy Equinox?
Diagnosing P0013 in Equinox doesn’t stress much. Common problems are broken wiring connectors or damaged wiring support that links to or from the PCV.
Start by replacing or repairing the wiring because that’s the most frequent issue as long as p0013 is linked to the ECM.
P0013 is not healthy for your car. It signifies pending risks waiting to explode if not fixed on time. When the variable valve timing starts misbehaving, a mechanical fault has undoubtedly crept into the engine.
Ensure to keep checking your car every time you notice unusual symptoms in the engine and oil level. Fix the p0013 code as soon as you verify its presence in your vehicle. This way, you and the car will be safe.